Professional and Academic Qualifications
• Chartered Engineer (CEng)
• PhD in Numerical Modelling of Complex Fluids, University of Wales
• BSc – Pure & Applied Maths (First Class Joint Honours, awarded both departmental prizes), University of Wales, Aberystwyth
• 2004 Cardiff University - Chair in Energy Systems
• 2002 Cardiff University - Senior Lecturer
• 1995 Cardiff University - Lecturer
• 1994 Cardiff University - EU Large-Scale Energy Facility Manager
• 1990 - 94 Shell Research Ltd. - Scientist – Hazard Quantification
• 1986-89 University of Wales - SERC doctoral student
Cardiff University (Academic, 1995- to date)
• Co-Director, Institute of Sustainability, Energy and Environmental Management
• Director, Centre for Research in Energy, Waste and Environment
• Director of Admissions
• Developed new EPSRC-funded interdisciplinary MSc in ‘Sustainable Energy and Environment’ (2006)
• Successful £1.5M strategic research investment bid for ‘Interdisciplinary Sustainable Energy Research’ within Cardiff University (2003)
• Successful bid for £3M EPSRC-funded Centre for Integrated Renewable Energy Generation and Supply (CIREGS)(2007)
• Total funding in excess of £7M for Gas Turbine Research and Test Centre for traditional and sustainable technologies
• Recent research sponsors: EPSRC, EU, Ricardo Consulting Engineers, QinetiQ, BP, DNV, NATO, Shell, British Gas, HSE, Kuwaiti Government, BOC-Edwards, Delevan, Atofina, Gaz de France.
• EU Marie-Curie Centre for Energy Systems research - 8 EU partners
• Lecture across a range of undergraduate and master modules, including Thermodynamics, Risk and Hazard Management, Energy Management, Energy Systems, Mathematics, Dynamics and Fluid Mechanics
Shell Research Ltd (1990-94)
• Hazard quantification research group post Piper-Alpha disaster
• Responsible for developing and propagating two-phase hazard knowledge
• Represented Shell on several international joint industry programmes
• Project leader for at the time, the largest explosion mitigation experiments undertaken in 550m 3 vessel (in collaboration with ABB and Kidde-Graviner)
• Risk/Hazard advice to various Shell operators, including Shell Oman, Nigeria, Expro.
Professional Activities and Recognition:
• Evidence to House of Commons Welsh Affairs Select Committee on Energy Policy (2006)
• Proposed and Founding Member of the Welsh Energy Research Centre (WERC), (2003-5), www.welshenergy.org
• International Flame Research Foundation (IFRF) ‘Online Handbook’ Editorial Board (2002-)
• EPSRC Collegiate Member (2002-5)
• Full Member of Steering Board of University of Wales Institute of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics (2002-)
• Steering Committee member of Institute of Physics Combustion Group (2003-)
• Consultant to BP - Explosion Protection and Environmental Impact (2001-04)
• Consultant to Ricardo Consulting Engineers - Lean-Burn Engines (2002)
• Adviser to UK HSE during ‘Lessons to be Learnt’ phase of Cullen Enquiry - Ladbroke Grove fatal train crash & fireball (2002)
• Adviser on Marine Crankcase Explosions, QinetiQ, Lloyds, Inst.MarE, (2003).
• International advisory group (sole UK invitee); ‘Oil-Well Blowouts in Arctic Regions (Alaska)’ - Exxon-Mobil, Virginia, USA (2001).
• Consultant to Det Norske Veritas concerning atmospheric modelling of two-phase ‘flashing’ releases of hazardous material (2000-04)
• Risk/hazard consultant to BOC-Edwards (2005)
• Adviser to Inst. Marine Engineers concerning ‘Crankcase Explosions’ in Marine Diesel Engines (2003)
• Invited Keynotes: von-Karman Institute of Fluid Mechanics Lecture Series, Belgium (2003); IFRF TOTEM 30, Hawaii (2007).
• Two invited chapters in von Karman Institute Monograph on ‘Multiphase Flow and Industrial Hazards’ (2003)
• IEC committee (31J/MT60079-10-1) updating international standard ‘Classification of areas-Explosive Gas Atmospheres’, Sydney (2007).
• Invited participant in 7th Belgo-British Conference (sole UK ‘Energy’ academic) on ‘Globalisation and the Citizen’, Brussels (2006) (www.britishcouncil.org/brussels-europe-belgo-british.htm).
• Institute of Energy Townsend-BCURA award for best international paper on Coal Utilisation (1997)
• External examiner (PhD theses) for leading UK universities and reviewer for major journals in fields of interest